Tuesday 11 March 2014

Pancakes and Waffles


I posted the pancakes and waffles I made on fat tuesday but I didn't post the recipe, so here they are. They both come from "Joy of Cooking".
The pancake recipe is something I have made and tweaked for years. My mom and dad have a copy of "Joy of Cooking" that is a million years old, in 7 pieces, stained with grease and flour, tattered and torn, well loved. A few years back my man bought me a "write your own recipes" cookbook and it was the first recipe I put in. This is really the best pancake recipe ever; buttery, fluffy. Sometimes I add cinnamon and nutmeg, or vanilla into the batter.  If you don't like pancakes try these, they will convert you.
What's different about this recipe is the addition hot butter to the cold milk and eggs the butter solidifies and becomes little pieces of butter. At first I thought I had done something wrong because it looks like the milk separated. Like when you make biscuits you leave the butter in bigger pieces to make them flakier. Same effect here, plus little pockets of butter.
If you like your pancakes a little cakier, fluffier, use 2 eggs, 1 cup milk. If you like them a little thinner use only 1 egg and more milk. Wanna live life on the edge try 1 egg and 1 cup milk or 2 eggs and 1 1/4 cups milk. I like mine 1 egg, 1 1/4 cups milk.

Pancakes
1 1/2cups All purpose flour
1tsp salt
3tbsp sugar
1 3/4tsp baking powder
1 or 2 eggs
3tbsp melted butter
1-1 1/4cups milk

Sift dry ingredients
Combine the egg, milk, and butter.
Combine the wet and the dry.
Cook in an ungreased pan, on med heat.
On one side until bubbles start to form around the edges, then flip and cook for another few moments.

This is the belgian waffle recipe directly from the book. This was my first time making it, also my first experience with yeast waffles. They were pretty good. The smell was amazing the whole time I was making them. Something about yeast and butter just does it for me. They were perfect with syrup. They could have used a little spice in the batter and a little more sugar.

Belgian Waffles
3 cups warm milk (I microwaved it for 2 minutes)
1 envelope of active dry yeast
3/4 cup melted and cooled butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 egg whites

Whisk together milk and yeast, let stand for 5 minutes. 
Whisk in butter, sugar, yolks, vanilla and salt. 
Add in flour in 3 additions beating till smooth after every addition.
Cover with plastic wrap and rest till doubled, 1- 1 1/2 hours.
Stir to deflate.
Beat egg whites to soft peaks, fold into batter.
Cook according to waffle iron instructions.

They are delicious and easy, go try them tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment